Rio EnCantos is a FIT Tour Company in the heart of Rio de Janeiro. We are a network of guides, local businesses, and partner agencies passionate by Brasil’s Enchantments and its African and indigenous legacies. Our goal is to ensure that clients, partners, and visitors have the best experiences in Brasil. Our mission is to make sure your entire trip runs smoothly and you enjoy your moments, being in Rio, São Paulo, Amazon, Minas Gerais or Bahia, just to mention a few of the 16 destinations where we have connections.
Rio Encantos Experiences comply with the following criteria:
- One-of-a-kind immersive experiences curated for travelers interested on our African heritage
- They are hosted by passionate local insiders
- They are qualitative and authentic with cultural aspects
- Guests participate and are immersed
- They tell unique stories to the travelers /visitors from a local’s perspective
- They share cultural knowledges
- They create meaningful memories
- They have an intimate group size or private tour
- They respect local communities and ecosystems
- They engage and create connections
- In Person or Online (interactive)
WHAT MAKES OUR EXPERIENCES SPECIAL:
- Name of the experience: Black History Walk and Street Art in Rio de Janeiro
- Type of experience (traditional or online; group size or private): online virtual tour
- Group size: 1 – 20 people
- Duration: 1 – 1:30h
- Think of locals, culture, communities, activities, or locations that are hard to get access to or that you’re personally connected to.
- Intro: Welcome to Rio de Janeiro and Praça Mauá. My name is Kelly Tavares and I will guide you through the Little Africa and its colorful streets, the place where I was born. This virtual art tour will take you to a dope street art hub that is highly frequented by locals. The Port Area is full of secrets of a hidden history that once uncovered, can tell the forgotten stories of a fascinating part of the city. This is a key tour to understanding Brazilian people and culture through its thriving street art.
- Overview of what to expect during your experience (50 words minimum)
- Description: I will tell you a little bit about the history of the port and its role on the slave trade, its art movements, and urban changes. This route is about Brazilian Street Art and its African roots. It highlights works of local artists, archaeological sites and how they’re deeply connected with who we are as Brazilians.
- Here you will hear about resilience, historic figures that helped to built up our wealth on the fields of dance, music, art, and culture in general.
- Highlights of what your experience is about, and what makes it original (50 words minimum)
- As an ally of local artists and guides for the Black legacy experiences in Rio I curated a street art walk that will offer a great overview of different art exponents from current and past times, pin pointing events that made the docks of Rio a fruitful open air gallery for street artist from all over the world to gather and create.
- Description in details of the experience, what guests will do (50 words minimum)
- We will meet in front of the MAR Museum in Praça and have a brief overview from its past tendencies to current trends on street art. We will stroll through the docklands of Rio learning about its role on the slave trade and the decay of the infamous market. The ports ascension and decay and its gentrification waves.
- Through urban settings to art on the streets we will hear about dreams that light up and fade. The area of constant changes and remodeling hosts the Tomorrow Museum, public art, approximately 2 miles of colorful murals, and the Guinness Book spray paint from artist Eduardo Kobra;
- The 3 main reasons to book your experience (detailed, 50 characters minimum)
- Out off the beaten path art hubs;
- Guided by local expert guides who are artists educator;
- Connect with a local resident and art specialist;
- As much information as possible that could be useful for your potential guests.
- To arrive at our meeting point you may get an uber or the metro and drop at Cinelândia Station to take the Light Vehicle over Track (VLT) all the way to the Museums’ Stop (Parada dos Museus) in Praça Mauá (Prasa Mawa)
- 4 to 6 Quality photos in landscape mode only (less than 1MB) to showcase your experience and give a taste of what your experience is about.
- Dates, Time and place for your experience will be announced on our social media and performed on line or in loco in different times of the week.
- Type of tickets (adult, general admission…) + prices We offer family ticket discount
- Your Terms and Conditions specific to this experience. Here things like: All the reasons for which you will not give a refund in case a customer asks, You may not welcome guests who do not have good behavior (disrespectful…); Reasons why you might cancel the experiences, How you operate in case of bad weather, religious holidays for example…
- Cancellation policies
I work with community cultural management for the benefit of democratic practices, nurturing environments in which programming is conceived with and for the social and creative development.
Arts Licentiate at Federal University of Espirito Santo, in 2007 and M.A. in Arts Management, University of Oregon, USA, 2011.